Monday, February 2, 2009

Proud to be a Chipster

I heard the call from across the airport floor. “Marco?”

I turned around to see a smiling woman approaching. “Marco Santana? I’m Javiera.”

She extended her hand and it was my first contact with anybody connected with the Chips Quinn Scholars program.

She asked, “Are there any other Chipsters here?”

“So that’s what they call us, huh?” I asked her. She nodded, still smiling.

Chipsters. The term seemed a bit cheesy to me. What had I signed up for?

During the first night of orientation, there were several mentions of family and what the program meant to everybody. As the week sped along and the 12-hour days of hard work passed, the class grew close and I began to notice some of the things mentioned.

I managed to get to know each of my classmates and learn much from them. The talent that surrounded me humbled me, and participating in a program with such enthusiastic and eager journalists boosted my confidence.

It was refreshing to hear alums of the program speak about how they embraced the family aspect. To a person, the alums humbly and sincerely credited the program with helping them to get their jobs. To know that this is the group I am now a part of excites me to no end.

On a practical note, I know that I now have skills that will make any newsroom better.

The educational aspect of this week is invaluable. I also know that I have a network of people who care about me and care about my career.

From line-dancing for the first time to participating in a sing-along and to renewing my love for the theme song to the “Golden Girls,” I have been changed in more than just professional ways by my participation in this group.

And one of the big changes is that I don’t consider it cheesy.

I’m proud to be called a Chipster.

No comments:

Post a Comment