Monday, February 2, 2009

Keeping perspective

Wow.

This past week has been among the most productive and eye-opening experiences of my life. Where do I begin?

First, the young reporters (and even those not quite so young) whom I have met are supremely talented. That's been said often, but it deserves to be said again and again. I learned almost as much from the other 10 people in my class and the half-dozen or so alumni as I did from our instructors. The Scholars each contributed something different that, in the end, enhanced our multimedia products. To name a few examples, Bettina Hansen taught me how to get organized in Final Cut, Marjon Rostami showed me how efficiently we can work and Nicole Santa Cruz reminded me how much fun being a reporter could be.

Even though our instructors, coaches and support staff were here to teach us, it never felt like anyone was trying to force knowledge through my head or, worse, treat me like the kid people think I am. They were brilliant, conversational and constructive. I was impressed by their ability to combine professionalism with true mentorship. It was also comforting to see Danese Kenon -- a successful woman of color and a multimedia reporter for The Indianapolis Star -- in all her fiery passion and incredible wisdom. She is truly an inspiring figure.

As I fly back to my newsroom Friday and start work Saturday, I carry with me a better sense of self and a renewed zeal to help my community.

If had to take away just one thing or one piece of advice from this week, it would be this: "Don't take life too seriously."

Trust me -- I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment