Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A brighter future thanks to Team Hoeppner and the Freedom Forum

I worked in newsrooms as a staff writer for nearly seven years, and in one week, the Freedom Forum Diversity Institute transformed me into a digital journalist.

The multimedia training for Chips Quinn Scholars and alumni that I received from Val Hoeppner, manager of multimedia education for the Freedom Forum Diversity Institute, Anne Medley, multimedia journalist, and Danese Kenon, photojournalist with The Indianapolis Star, far exceeded my expectations. They and the Freedom Forum have equipped me with the skills I need to survive as a journalist in a digital age. The five-day training program led by Hoeppner was comprehensive, organized and well orchestrated.

I came to the seminar with no experience in producing digital projects. Nada. It almost seems surreal that after one week of intensive, hands-on training, I can use Final Cut Pro, Audacity and other software programs to produce video and audio slide shows.

I leave Nashville, Tenn., with a brighter future because I now have means in addition to print -- video, photography and sound -- by which to tell compelling stories. That is a tremendous amount more than I had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment