Monday, February 2, 2009

Looking ahead

I arrived at this orientation and training without expectations. Today I leave with a set of goals and enthusiasm that I would have never been able to generate on my own. I feel refreshed and inspired, and most important, resilient.

I found out this morning that I was rejected for a prestigious, competitive fellowship that I had applied for. After the initial disappointment (following a two-month application process), I feel excited to have a door open again that had been hinging on this decision.

A lot of reporters who went through the multimedia training this week have said that they are no longer afraid to tinker with equipment that once intimidated them. I no longer feel intimidated by the application process. I have the most specialized equipment in the world -- good contacts, editors and mentors -- to guide me.

Being uncertain about where I'll end up in the next couple of months is kind of exciting. I know that after this experience, I won't only have help in applying for future internships and jobs. I'll also have a lot of different couches to crash on in many different places. And that's just as important to me.

I have learned so much and love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment