Saturday, January 24, 2009

Holding presidents accountable

Members of the press gave former President George W. Bush what many would call "a hard time," but he had a lot to handle.

With all his issues he faded away from the press, hardly ever giving press conferences, and I couldn't think of another U.S. president who might have had more difficulties in dealing with the media other than Lyndon B. Johnson.

We were asked which president was the first to not seek another term due to bad press. I was surprised to learn it was George Washington.

He's dubbed the "Father of our Country," for goodness’ sake, and although I knew that the claim attributed to him that he never told a lie was, in fact, a lie, I never knew of his conflicts with the journalists of his day.

That made me think that if reporters do their job right, they'll get even the most respected and respectful leaders in a tizzy. Maybe I'll be pissing off President Obama soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment