Sunday, January 25, 2009

Dynamic duo

The session led by Edd Bowser and Javacia Harris, he a copy editor and she a reporter at The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky., about the first five graphs of a story has been the most beneficial so far. The beginning of a story is always the most difficult part for me. The way Edd and Javacia broke down the key elements helped make the task seem less formidable. The mock press conference helped drive the lessons home and gave me the opportunity to attempt everything they had just talked about. It was interactive and simplified. I could relate to what they said and how they presented it, and thus I could understand it. I now have more confidence in my ability to write compelling leads and opening graphs using the formula they gave. I know my leads won't all read the same because the formula is so flexible and leaves room for creativity. It's not often that a session resonates with me as much as this one did, and I know it will stick with me long after I leave here.

1 comment:

  1. Jackee, thanks so much for your kind words. Things like this keep me pressing on even when I'm having a rough week. It was great to meet you last weekend. I wish you and all the Chipsters much success at your papers.
    -- Javacia N. Harris

    ReplyDelete