Sunday, January 25, 2009

Chipsters ‘armed and ready’

As I make my transition to a new town, unfamiliar newsroom and an uncharted beat, I am now loaded with golden nuggets on how to approach my assignment.

Developing story ideas cannot and will not be a problem. There will be no dead horses to beat. My ears are still ringing with the words "get out of the office." If that doesn't resonate with reporters anywhere, I'm not sure how they'll get ahead.

We are explorers. Jack Marsh called us out on being curious and nosy, but why wouldn't we want to know anything about everything?

And just how do we get this information? Stepping out of the newsroom could be more than just a breath of fresh air and relief from computer screen-induced tunnel vision. It is what makes the story, bringing flavor to a setting and life to a source.

Watch out newsrooms, the Chipsters are armed and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment