Saturday, January 24, 2009

Fresh eyes for Facebook

I've never been a fan of social networking sites. In fact, I've been skeptical, resistant -- especially when it comes to Facebook. The more that people told me I should be on Facebook, the less I wanted to be. But after about two years I gave in and joined.

I enjoy Facebook but still, I never really saw much value in it other than an easy way to keep in touch with friends (all of whom I know outside of the cyber world so I can just as easily communicate with them in a more preferred way) and distant family, and to share things like photos with a bunch of people at once.

Friday, I saw a different side of a Facebook, a more beneficial side. I never realized how valuable a tool it is for me as a reporter and representative of my community and how I can use it to find story ideas and sources. It offers more than just the silly, teenage style of social networking often associated with it and other sites like MySpace. I look forward to tapping into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment